bake yourself a little roaster chicken, and you can easily add a little protein to your meals all week long :) i buy free range roaster chickens, about 6-8 pounds, and use them as a great addition to salads, or even as the main protein component of a quick dinner. the prep is easy, as the oven does most of the work for you!!
1 roaster chicken (6-8 pounds)
3 cloves garlic, chopped or pressed through garlic press
2 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 C free range chicken broth
1. pre-heat oven to 350F
2. remove neck and organs from chicken (they are stuffed inside). i toss the neck, but cook the organs for my dog - see the end of the blog for details.
3. rinse chicken (inside and out) with warm water
4. place chicken in small roasting pan, or a 9x13 baking dish (i use 9x13 stoneware)
5. pour chicken broth over chicken
6. sprinkle pepper and garlic over chicken (and some into broth surrounding chicken) 7. bake approximately 20 minutes per pound. (for my 6-8 pounders, 2 to 2.5 hours is sufficient).
8. remove from oven. remove wings, legs, and pick the rest. i recommend doing so while hot because the task is faster than waiting until it cools. store in a closed container in refrigerator, or freeze for later use! (personally, i enjoy eating a wing or leg immediately, you know, for energy while picking the chicken)!!
for your canine:
1. place the organs in a small baking dish 2. do NOT season with garlic, as garlic is toxic to canines, but add a little pepper if you care to
3. bake alongside the roaster chicken, but only for 20-30 minutes, or until "done" (use your discretion)
4. let cool before treating your furry friend :-)