this recipe is from my husband's co-worker's wife. i have modified the seasonings slightly, and used fresh green beans instead of canned ones per the recipe.
you'll need 2 hours or so for prep and cooking.
you'll need 2 cups of brown rice, cooked. i always use a rice cooker, and start the rice about 30 minutes prior to serving time.
3 halal lamb shanks
6 C water (or more)
3 C green beans (fresh), cut
1/2 head of garlic, pressed
1 large red onion, chopped
1-2 cans tomato paste (4 oz)
salt & pepper to taste
1. cover the bottom of a large pot with olive oil
2. saute garlic and onion
3. brown lamb shanks
4. add 1 C water
5. cook (with lid on) on medium-high heat for 30 minutes
6. add beans, 1 can of tomato paste, and enough water to cover shanks. stir well
7. reduce heat to a simmer, cook with lid OFF for 1 hour, or until meat falls away from the bone. the liquid should have a thick sauce-like consistency. if not, add another can of tomato paste.
1. place a pad of rice on the plate, and then scoop the lamb/bean mixture over.
2. i recommend serving naan bread on the side. i bought pre-made at whole foods, and just heat it for 2 minutes on 400F in the oven prior to serving.
3. a side of greens would also go well with this dish.