Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cashew butter

Nut butters are a bit of a staple for our family these days. Michael is in LOVE with Sunbutter. I really like the Trader Joe's Almond butter, and can swallow the price. But I can't find a simple, affordable cashew butter (made with just cashews and salt). Hence, I made my own!


Ingredients
1 C cashews (whole, raw, unsalted or salted)
1 tbsp coconut oil (room temperature)
salt (to taste - i used 1/2 tsp)

Instructions
  1. Place ingredients in food processor
  2. Grind or pulse for 5 minutes total. Stop to scrape if/when necessary (when you hear the motor revving higher, or notice that the contents within are no longer moving - I had to scrape 3-4 times). I wanted a super smooth texture - it was thinner than butter when I finished. 
  3. Store in a jar in the fridge. After refrigeration it hardened a bit, but is still spreadable (rather typical of refrigerated all natural nut butter texture).
It's delicious - I need to double the batch next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment