I adapted this recipe I found online for our Paleo needs. And by "our" needs, I mean those of my husband and son, as I am allergic to eggs. (MAJOR bummer.)
1 C organic heavy whipping cream
4 tbsp beef gelatin
2/3 chopped kale (2-3 C of kale prior to chopping)
2/3 pound ground pork sausage, cooked
Garlic and onion powders to taste
Salt to taste
1-2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (for muffin pans)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
- Grease the muffin pans with coconut oil (melted), or other fat.
- Spoon a bit of sausage into each muffin cup. This batch yields twenty-four mini muffins AND fifteen normal-sized muffins.
- Whip eggs and whipping cream together
- Add spices and kale, mix well
- Add the gelatin, and mix well
- Pour into muffin cups, filling each one two-thirds full
- Bake mini-muffins for 25-35 minutes, and normal-sized muffins for 35-45 minutes
- Let cool on racks before serving
- Store in the fridge, or freeze them for later! (They freeze perfectly!)
A brief note that my muffins deflate as they cool. I think adding some starch could resolve this issue. I intend to add some mashed, steamed cauliflower or parsnips next time.
|My two-year-old son's breakfast -- either three normal-sized muffins, or nine mini-muffins as shown here. He also had a side of soup.|