Friday, May 17, 2013

Quiche muffins

My two-year-old son loves muffins. It has more to do with their shape and size than their contents (or so experimental results have suggested).

I adapted this recipe I found online for our Paleo needs. And by "our" needs, I mean those of my husband and son, as I am allergic to eggs. (MAJOR bummer.)

Ingredients
12 eggs
1 C organic heavy whipping cream
4 tbsp beef gelatin
2/3 chopped kale (2-3 C of kale prior to chopping)
2/3 pound ground pork sausage, cooked
Garlic and onion powders to taste
Salt to taste
1-2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (for muffin pans)

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
  2. Grease the muffin pans with coconut oil (melted), or other fat.
  3. Spoon a bit of sausage into each muffin cup.  This batch yields twenty-four mini muffins AND fifteen normal-sized muffins.
  4. Whip eggs and whipping cream together
  5. Add spices and kale, mix well
  6. Add the gelatin, and mix well
  7. Pour into muffin cups, filling each one two-thirds full
  8. Bake mini-muffins for 25-35 minutes, and normal-sized muffins for 35-45 minutes
  9. Let cool on racks before serving
  10. Store in the fridge, or freeze them for later! (They freeze perfectly!)
A brief note that my muffins deflate as they cool. I think adding some starch could resolve this issue. I intend to add some mashed, steamed cauliflower or parsnips next time.

My two-year-old son's breakfast -- either three normal-sized muffins, or nine mini-muffins as shown here. He also had a side of soup.
Normal-sized muffins
Mini-muffins

No comments:

Post a Comment