Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Quick jam: strawberry

My son is on a produce strike, and this includes fruits. It's insane, as he used to eat berries as if they were going out of style. At one point I couldn't even keep berries in the house. And now - nothing. He won't eat anything. BUT, he loves jam. Only problem is that most everything I can find in the stores has added sugar or pectin, etc. So, I decided to make my own. I recalled a recipe in "OMG. That's Paleo?" for cherry jam, which called for coconut oil, cherries and honey. So I omitted the honey, used strawberries instead, and made my own strawberry jam!

Ingredients
1 pound strawberries (quartered, stems removed)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp honey

Instructions

  1. Melt coconut oil in saucepan
  2. Add the strawberries, and stir periodically to keep from burning 
  3. Cook and stir 20-30 minutes
  4. Place in an 8-ounce jar or other sealed container, and store in the fridge
The strawberries begin to cook down quickly - I snapped this photo after about one minute of cooking!
Bright-colored jam! No sugar added. Beautiful. Fragrant. DELICIOUS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment